Statistics show that most people who die from carbon monoxide poisoning do so while sleeping. Many home heating appliances produce odorless carbon monoxide, which makes it more deadly. You could be inhaling it while having a drink or reading a book without being aware of it. These are all relaxing activities so you won’t be suspicious if you start to feel sleepy. Most people will simply fall asleep and never wake up.
According to the website of of Williams Kherkher, carbon monoxide is deadly because it keeps oxygen from reaching the brain. When it is inhaled, it passes into the bloodstream and binds with the hemoglobin that normally circulates oxygen where it is needed. When the carbon monoxide attaches to the hemoglobin molecules, this forms a stable compound called carboxyhemoglobin, so the oxygen can no longer insinuate itself on the hemoglobin. Lack of oxygen leads to cell death and the body gradually shuts down, eventually leading to death. Victims of carbon monoxide poisoning typically exhibit a pinkish cast to the skin and red lips because carboxyhemoglobin is a rich red.
Some of the common sources of deadly carbon monoxide include:
- Space heaters
- Water heaters
- Cooking ranges
- Portable generators
- Lawn mowers
- Car exhausts
In some cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can be due to defects in the appliance or vehicle, or improper installation of heating appliances, such as a defective flue system in gas fireplace inserts. A Milwaukee personal injury lawyer could do the necessary investigation to determine the source of the carbon monoxide. If it is proven to be due to a manufacturing or product defect or professional negligence, then the victim can sue for compensation from the responsible parties.
If you have suffered injury from carbon monoxide poisoning because of the negligence of others, you have the right to sue for damages. Find a competent and experienced personal injury in your area for a more in-depth assessment of your case.Read More